Followers

September 2, 2010

One Last Summer Adventure!

A few posts back I shared some of the adventuring we did this summer.  That night we left on one last trip out...

The kids and I, along with my aunt & two cousins, went for a ride on a steam train.  It was a blast!  We wandered the train, complete with concession cars and a saloon, got held up by bandits and had an all around fun time!


Some quotes from the fellow above:
"Gabriel Dumont's my name and buffalo hunting is my game"
"I'm Gabe Dumont and I'm the law around these here parts"

And some more pics (photo credits to my girl)








See, I told you we were held up by bandits, and by gunpoint no less!!  They boarded the train, took all our loose change, and then tried to escape.  Mr. Dumont won the battle and retrieved our money.  They actually donate all the money collected during the robberies and donate them to the children's hospitals in Edmonton and Calgary.

It was about a 5 1/2 hour round trip, getting off in Big Valley for about 2 hours for dinner and wandering around town.  We went up the hill to see the beautiful blue church at the top and went through the little shops that sold things like home-made cinnamon buns and fudge, yum!

Hope you enjoyed our adventures, thanks for stopping by and sharing them with me :)

9 comments:

Meadows08 said...

My parents took my kids on this trip last summer and they loved it!

natalie said...

This is a fantastic idea for a family vacation. I loved riding the narrow gauge railroad in Colorado where I lived until I was 12. It's very fun. :)

Ann said...

A much more exciting steam train trip than we've had this summer! There's nothing quite like a ride on a steam train is there, there's lots of conservation of them going on here nowadays too. I used to have to travel to school on a steam train and remember feeling upset when they were done away with and I had to travel on a diesel train!

Barbeeque4 said...

How fun that sounds!!! Great snaps!

Pumpkin said...

OMG!!!! I LOVE that appaloosa!

Looks like you had lots of fun even after being 'held up' ;o) LOL!

Melanie said...

Held up by bandits? That never happens to me when I take the Cape Cod steam train! lol (Though you do go by some lovely salt marshes.)

PaisleyJade said...

How cool is that!! You just needed some milky bars!!

Shari said...

this looks like my kind of day!!! How fun!!!!!! Too bad it is so far away from me. Thanks for sharing the pictures!!!!

Daffycat said...

Oh how fun!